Take a deep breath, the most stressful holiday of the year is over! Now that the eggnog is gone, presents are unwrapped and kids are happy with what has Santa left (let’s hope!), it’s time for just about everyone’s least favorite part of the holiday season…taking down decorations.
Here are some tips that will hopefully make your life easier!
For the Decorations:
- Take pictures! A lot can happen in the span of the year, especially the memories of exactly where that tinsel was placed…so make it easy on yourself and take pictures so you don’t have to rack your brain on remembering what went where!
- Make a Plan! Figure out what you will need to pack in boxes and make sure heavy items that will not easily break are on the bottom. If you plan to stack, items that may break easier should be on top.
- Use nice boxes and storage tubs, not garbage bags. In the long run, you will take up less space and be able to store more.
- Wrap your breakable ornaments, angel and Santa decorations, or anything you think is fragile in bubble wrap or tissue paper. That way, when you go to decorate the following year you won’t be surprised with broken pieces!
- Label Your Storage Boxes. List what is in each box, and if you’ve got a ton of boxes, number them! You can even unpack them in the order they are numbered to make things even more simplified!
For the Lights:
This is where things get frustrating, especially during the unpacking stages. Make things easier by packing them up a certain way so the unpacking process isn’t too brutal.
- Wrap each set of lights individually and put them in separate plastic bags. No tangles!
- Cut a rectangle out of a leftover box those Louis Vuitton pumps came in (in my dreams!). Cut a slit in one side of the rectangle and thread the end through that slit. Wrap the lights around then thread the other end back through the slit,
- Wrap the lights around an empty tube of wrapping paper!
Hopefully your holiday was merry and bright and this tips help the taking down and packing decorations seem like a piece of cake!